Monday, March 22, 2010

Album review : Brother

A review post. WOW...
Anyways, this review is on Boyzone's LATEST ORIGINAL album entitled Brother




YES. I AM A BOYZONE FAN. STILL A BOYZONE FAN. Never like other bands, even when their songs are noteworthy (Back for good,quit playing games with my heart,bye x3). HATED WESTLIFE (Songs were ok though..).
There. I said it.

Now on to the review.
Boyzone kinda left off and disbanded in about 2002, if I'm not wrong - I am a fan, not a FANATIC. They disbanded on the heels of other boybands that did the same; all during the so-called GLORY DAYS of boybands. Now, unlike other groups; Boyzone was more into covers and ballads. Their hits at the time they left off included Words, Love me for a reason, Everyday I love you, Baby can I hold you tonight, A different beat,No matter What as well as faster tunes like Picture Of You. These songs were the ones that differentiated them- cos their songs were sugary sweet ballads.
Coming back in 2008/2009, Boyzone tried to jump back into the music scene like Take That (which did the same that year)with some life concert, and a Best of ( Yet again..) album that had 3 new songs. Didn't make impact - unless on Lite Fm.
At the end of 2009, rumours had it that Ronan and company were in the midst of producing a new album, before the tragic death of Stephen Gately, or more known as Steo to them in October 2009.

Due to that, the album was shifted in its direction and ended becoming a tribute album of some sorts. Hence the title of the new album BROTHER.

To the noobs, this album will be MEH for them, especially in this era of fast hip hop, dance tuned musicology (Jason Gerulo, Bieber, L. Gaga, Byonce, etc). You will not get the album, unless u are a fan.
For me, I didn't know till I saw it a few days ago in a musc shop. Then my friend told me the single came out for it.. SINGLE?!?!?!
It was a tribute single in a way, yet containing Steo's vocals here. A departure of sorts for Boyzone, the song is not too bad, with raggae tinge to it. The lyrics were written by Mika himself as well. Title of the song was apt also, in my opinion : Gave It All Away.
The single is bound to get onto the fans especially, with the opening lines helmed by none other than Gately himself - I will learn to live b4 I die... (SO SCARY...)
The video was good. Again, a tribute video, kind emotional. Apparent on the group itself...

The departure was alas, awhile. Even to a Boyzone fan, I was slightly disappointed with the effort, as the whole album seemed to be a 12 songs of tribute, kinda tossed in for sake of paying tribute to their "Brother".
Don get me wrong, it's not that the album is dismal. It had some good gems in it, and the vocal arrangements are more widely lead now compared to before, where only Ronan or gately had the helmlight. This time, Even Mike Graham and Shane Lynch took the lead in a few songs. If they could do this earlier... Oh well.

Back to the album, it was rather safe actually. No boundaries were broken, unlike their previous albums (Different beat - totally differ from other boybands' sophomore albums; Where We belong - all songs were written by the members themselves). It showed a few slightly uptempo songs to me, like Love is a Hurricane. It sounded a bit so so though, like Love is a Rollercoaster sequel to me.
Gems, were good though. I liked the 3rd song in the album. A country tinge ballad titled Ruby, lead by Mikey. Separate Cars - another emotional tribute ballad. Too Late for Hallelujah - very ironic gospel/pop song, and the last single Stronger - also lead by Gately.
All in all, it was a safe album. Buy if u are TRUE fan (like me =.=)
Otherwise, it's a likely miss...
Yet, it can grow on you... First time I heard it, it was a so so. Second time listening, I only didn't like 3 songs... others begin to grow... SO choose at your own peril!!!

No comments: